Today is national "Day of the Deployed," and honors our deployed troops and their families for the sacrifices they make to protect our freedoms.
Our troops are posted all over the world far away from the comforts of home. We urge you to to get personally involved and show your support for those currently deployed overseas and their families. Show our troops that although they may be out of sight they are never far from our thoughts.
Ways to Support and Recognize Our Deployed Troops:
- Connect personally by reaching out to a deployed troop you know.
- Display a yellow ribbon on your home.
- Look to local chapters of veteran-supporting groups such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars, USO or Disabled American Veterans for ways to aid and assist.
- Assist the family of a deployed soldier by helping with small tasks such as cutting the grass, raking leaves, or shoveling snow during the winter months. Prepare a meal or take the family holiday shopping.
- Make a donation. Some of the great organizations we support include Liberty USO and Homes For Our Troops.The Department of Defense has a great list of organizations that deliver care packages.
- Raise awareness of this important observance by using the hashtag #DayOfTheDeployed on October 26.